A few weeks ago I travelled to visit some family for the weekend. They had a BBQ where one of my aunts brought a kale & quinoa salad. While kale doesn’t bother me (although I have to be in the mood for it), I was surprised at the taste of this particular salad. It was a fusion of sweet and sour with freshness.
Here is the recipe, courtesy of my Aunty Kate:
- 1 bag of chopped Kale
- 2-3 different coloured sweet peppers
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 2-3 green onions (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper
- lemon juice (to taste)
- olive oil (dressing)
- Chop the kale into fine pieces using a blender or chopper
- Chop peppers to form small squares
- Chop onions into fine portions
- Mix the kale, peppers, onions and quinoa together
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze 2-3 lemons
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix well and adjust the dressing to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
If you are making this a few days in advance, don’t add the lemon or olive oil. You can add at the time of serving.