For the past few years cake pops seem to be popping up at a lot of bakeries. In addition to their attractive appearance, they are bite size which is perfect for portion control. But if you are like me and you do not like cake, there are alternatives that you can try.
I can’t take credit for creating the idea of date pops, but I can take credit for the recipe. Through trial and error, here is my no bake healthy version of a cake pop.
Ingredients (makes 8 date pops):
- 1 cup of oats (can sub for almond meal, flax seed meal or coconut flour)
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds
- 1/4 cup of natural almonds
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- 1/2 cup of coconut almond milk (can sub for either coconut milk or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup of almond butter (can sub for peanut butter or any other nut butter of choice)
- 1/4 cup pure honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Ingredients for toppings:
- 1 cup of dark carob nibs (can sub for chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- assortment of sprinkles and shredded coconut
What you need:
- Food processor or magic bullet
- large bowl
- baking sheet
- parchment or wax paper
- Combine the chia seeds, oats and almonds in a food processor or magic bullet. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Add dates and the milk of choice to the mix above and blend for a few seconds. Pour the batter into a large bowl.
- In a microwavable safe dish, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the almond butter and microwave for approx. 20 seconds.
- Add the almond blend to the mixture in the large bowl.
- Pour the honey and almond extract into the mixture and blend with a spoon or hand processor.
- Roll the mixture into small balls of approximately 2 inch diameter (but the size is dependent on your personal preference). Making this size ball with make 8 balls.
- Place a sheet of parchment or wax paper to cover a baking sheet. Place the balls on the sheet and refrigerate for approximately 20 minutes.
- Cut straws into half. Place in the centre of each ball then remove. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave for approx. 30 seconds.
- Replace the straws in the centre of the balls and dip in the chocolate mix followed by toppings of choice (sprinkles, shredded coconut etc)
- Replace on the baking sheet and refrigerate for another 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!